- This line was added.
- This line was removed.
- Formatting was changed.
Shared Drives (z-drives) are account-based storage space for North Park University Students, Staff, and Faculty.
Generally, when you log into a North Park computer with your username and password, your z-drive is automatically mapped.
These instructions are for North Park University Machines only.
Note to Mac users: When ethernet-connected on-campus, Z: drives should automount, but they do not sync.
To mount a shared drive permanently on your Windows machine:
- Start Menu -> File Explorer (the picture of a folder on the left, above the settings wheel)
- Select "This PC" on the left-hand side.
- At the top, choose "Computer" then choose "Map network drive".
- Select a Drive letter that you want to use. I'd select something "middle of the alphabet": "M" would be good.
- Type "\\file-department\SpecificDriveName$"
- Without the quotes and it is case sensitive
- The naming convention may change with some special drives on campus. Check with IT for permissions.
- Check the box "Reconnect at logon"
The publications shared drive will now be mounted and will be there even after a reboot.
All departmental shared drives should automatically map to your computer screen after you log in. Department Share drives are only available when the computer is on campus and plugged into the network.
If you require access to a shared drive, you should contact the IT department via the Help Desk
If your z-drive (or other Department Share Drive) is not available when you log in please contact the IT Help Desk.
Please note that Department Share Drives are only available when you log in while on campus.
While z-drives will technically work on XP and Vista machines, IT would love to upgrade all Employee computers to Windows 7. Please contact IT.