Users can choose to record their Teams meetings and even create transcripts of the recorded sessions.
In Microsoft Teams, users can record their Teams meetings and group calls to capture audio, video, and screen sharing activity. The recording happens in the cloud and is saved to Microsoft Stream, so users can share it securely across their organization. As of now, these recordings will be retained indefinitely. You can download the originally uploaded video if you uploaded the video file or you are an owner of the video.
Once the Teams meeting is completed, to view or download your recording, you can do the following:
From Microsoft O365 home page, select the Stream application
From the main Stream page, you can click on Discover to search for your video. Click on the video you wish to view or download
To download the video, you can click on the ellipses and then select 'Download video'. You will only see this option for videos that you have permission for.
You can also download the video from the update video details screen if you are designated as an Owner of a video. On this screen you can also set permissions on who can view this video. IT is hoping that people will NOT select the ‘Allow everyone in the organization to view this video’ unless it is an organization-wide video. You can assign permissions to a Microsoft Group/Teams or to specific people.
Any person or group added under Shared with for a video's permissions will automatically be granted view permission to your video.
By checking the box in the Owners column you will be making the viewer also an owner of the video.
Owners of a video get the following abilities:
Edit video settings
Add video to other groups and channels
Steps to download/edit a transcript of a recorded meeting in Microsoft Teams
- Open the recording in Microsoft Stream, either by:
- Visiting the chat for the meeting in Teams, clicking the ellipses "…" next to the meeting, and choosing Open in Microsoft Stream.
- Or click here to open Microsoft Stream.
- In Microsoft Stream, click on the ellipses "…" and select "Update Video Details"
- On the left hand side of the screen, you must select a language
- On the right hand side of the screen, you must click the "Autogenerate Captions" checkbox to generate a transcript for the meeting. According to Microsoft, it will take approximately double the time of the length of the video to generate the caption file (for instance if the video is 30 minutes, it will take approximately 60 minutes for the transcript to be created). However, we have found that is takes much longer. Once the transcript is created, you can view the transcript and edit it’s content from the transcript tab next to the video
- To download the transcript, go to "Update video details" screen
- Next to the "autogenerate captions" checkbox click on the "download file" link. Please note that you will need to have the .VTT file extension associated with a text editing application such as Notepad, WordPad, or Word otherwise you will receive an error and will not be able to download the transcript. The downloaded file will be in your C:\users\*your username*\downloads directory.