What are Shared Mailboxes
Most Departments with an email address are now using "Office 365 Shared Mailboxes."
To request access to a Department's Shared Mailbox, please have your supervisor open a ticket with IT on your behalf.
Here are the Microsoft instructions for accessing a Shared Mailbox: Opening a Shared Mailbox
If you are using the Outlook application installed on your desktop (Apple or Windows), completely close Outlook and then re-open it. The shared mailbox should appear below your inbox.
Shared mailboxes are not currently available on mobile phone apps, other than using a web browser to log in and check them.
If you are using the Outlook web app on O365, follow the instructions below.
Accessing Shared Inboxes
Supervisors should be diligent in requesting access, as well as removing expired access.
Once access has been granted by a supervisor, students should access the inbox via their O365 account.
Sign in to your North Park email in a browser: https://outlook.com/northpark.edu
Click on your picture in the top-right hand corner
Select Open another mailbox....
Newer shared mailboxes should appear in Outlook once someone has access. If it does not appear after restarting Outlook, follow these steps to add it to the Outlook client.
Windows Outlook Client
Choose the File tab in the ribbon
Choose Account Settings, then select Account Settings... from the menu
Select the Email tab
Click your own account to highlight it, then choose Change...
Choose More Settings > Advanced (tab) > Add...
Type the shared email address, such as "email@example.com"
Choose OK > OK
Choose Next > Finish > Close
Apple Outlook Client
To open the shared mailbox:
- On the Tools menu, click Accounts > Advanced > Delegates
- Add the mailbox under Open these additional mailboxes
Out of Office - Automatic Replies
Automatic Replies allow an inbox to send an Out of Office response to incoming emails. This is helpful for holidays or time away from the office.
These instructions are for Shared Inboxes, but they can also apply to an individual inbox as well.
- To set an Out-of-Office or Automatic Reply message for a Shared Inbox, use the web version of Outlook:
- Select your picture/initial icon at the top-right and choose "Open another mailbox"
- Type the Shared Inbox you wish to access.
- While in the Shared Inbox, select the Gear icon in the top navigation and choose "View all Outlook settings"
- In Settings, navigate to Mail > Automatic replies
- Toggle the option to "Turn on automatic replies" and adjust the options for your message and times/dates.
- Instructions are also available for setting an automatic Out-of-Office reply from