North Park University has a new software for quizzes in Canvas called Respondus. This software creates a proctoring environment for when quizzes and tests need to be taken remotely. Your professor may implement either the Lockdown Browser or the Lockdown Browser + Respondus Monitor software in your classes. Please refer to the following to help prepare your computer.
- Windows: 10, 8, 7
- Mac: MacOS 10.12 or higher
- iOS: 11.0+ (iPad only). Must have a compatible LMS integration. Details.
- Web camera (internal or external) & microphone (for Respondus Monitor only)
- A broadband internet connection
Since you will be downloading this software to your device, the following is required:
- Windows: 75 MB permanent space on the hard drive
- Mac: 120 MB permanent space on the hard drive
LockDown Browser is a client application that is installed to a local computer. Both the Windows edition and the Mac edition of the browser are based on Chromium, Google's open source framework. Students do NOT need Google's Chrome browser installed; nor will this version affect a Chrome browser that's already installed.
Download and install LockDown Browser from this link:
- Start LockDown Browser
- Log into to Canvas
- Navigate to the quiz
Note: You won't be able to access a quiz that requires LockDown Browser with a standard web browser. If this is tried, an error message will indicate that the test requires the use of LockDown Browser. Simply start LockDown Browser and navigate back to the exam to continue.
When taking an online quiz, follow these guidelines:
- Ensure you're in a location where you won't be interrupted
- Turn off all other devices (e.g. tablets, phones, second computers) and place them outside of your reach
- Before starting the test, know how much time is available for it, and also that you've allotted sufficient time to complete it
- Clear your desk or workspace of all external materials not permitted - books, papers, other devices
- Remain at your computer for the duration of the test
- If the computer, Wi-Fi, or location is different than what was used previously with the "Webcam Check" and "System & Network Check" in LockDown Browser, run the checks again prior to the exam
- IF RESPONDUS MONITOR IS ENABLED: To produce a good webcam video, do the following:
- Avoid wearing baseball caps or hats with brims
- Ensure your computer or device is on a firm surface (a desk or table). Do NOT have the computer on your lap, a bed, or other surface where the device (or you) are likely to move
- If using a built-in webcam, avoid readjusting the tilt of the screen after the webcam setup is complete
- Take the exam in a well-lit room, but avoid backlighting (such as sitting with your back to a window)
- Remember that LockDown Browser will prevent you from accessing other websites or applications; you will be unable to exit the test until all questions are completed and submitted
Troubleshooting & Getting Help
Several resources are available if you encounter problems with LockDown Browser:
- Restart your device. Sometimes this simple trick will fix the issue you are experiencing.
- The Windows and Mac versions of LockDown Browser have a "Help Center" button located on the toolbar. Use the "System & Network Check" to troubleshoot issues. If an exam requires you to use a webcam, also run the "Webcam Check" from this area.
- Respondus has a Knowledge Base available from support.respondus.com. Select the "Knowledge Base" link and then select "Respondus LockDown Browser" as the product. If your problem is with a webcam, select "Respondus Monitor" as your product.
- If you're still unable to resolve a technical issue with LockDown Browser, go to support.respondus.com and select "Submit a Ticket". Provide detailed information about your problem and what steps you took to resolve it.
Respondus also has a student help page that has a live chat: https://web.respondus.com/student-help/
In this sections, we will post direct links to the Respondus Knowledge base for frequently asked questions.
- No labels